How to treat Insomnia
How to treat Insomnia
Insomnia is something we are struggling with a lot these days. And we are trying different method and warring public on how to treat insomnia.
What Is Insomnia?
Insomnia is a sleep disorder in which you have trouble falling and/or staying asleep.
The condition can be short term (acute) or can last a long time (chronic). It may also come and go.
Acute insomnia lasts from 1 night to a few weeks. Insomnia is chronic when it happens at least 3 nights a week for 3 months or more.
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
Types of Insomnia
There are two types of insomnia: primary and secondary.
- Primary insomnia: This means your sleep problems aren’t linked to any other health condition or problem.
- Secondary insomnia: This means you have trouble sleeping because of a health condition (like asthma, depression, arthritis, cancer, or heartburn); pain; medication; or substance use (like alcohol).
Causes of primary insomnia include:
- Stress related to big life events, like a job loss or change, the death of a loved one, divorce, or moving
- Things around you like noise, light, or temperature
- Changes to your sleep schedule like jet lag, a new shift at work, or bad habits you picked up when you had other sleep problems
Causes of secondary insomnia include:
- Mental health issues like depression and anxiety
- Medications for colds, allergies, depression, high blood pressure, and asthma
- Pain or discomfort at night
- Caffeine, tobacco, or alcohol use
- Hyperthyroidism and other endocrine problems
- Other sleep disorders, like sleep apnea or restless legs syndrome
Insomnia Risk Factors
Insomnia affects women more than men and older people more than younger ones. Young and middle-age African Americans also have a higher risk.
Other risk factors include:
- Long-term illness
- Mental health issues
- Working night shifts or shifts that rotate
- Sleepiness during the day
- Problems with concentration or memory
Your doctor will do a physical exam and ask about your medical history and sleep history.
They might tell you to keep a sleep diary for a week or two, keeping track of your sleep patterns and how you feel during the day. They may talk to your bed partner about how much and how well you’re sleeping. You might also have special tests at a sleep center.
Acute insomnia may not need treatment.
If it’s hard for you to do everyday activities because you’re tired, your doctor may prescribe sleeping pills for a short time. Medicines that work quickly but briefly can help you avoid problems like drowsiness the next day.
Don’t use over-the-counter sleeping pills for insomnia. They might have side effects, and they tend to work less well over time.
For chronic insomnia, you’ll need treatment for the conditions or health problems that are keeping you awake. Your doctor might also suggest behavioral therapy. This can help you change the things you do that make insomnia worse and learn what you can do to promote sleep.
Our bodies and brains need sleep so they can repair themselves. It’s also crucial for learning and keeping memories. If insomnia is keeping you awake, you could have:
- A higher risk of health problems like high blood pressure, obesity, and depression
- A higher risk of falling, if you’re an older woman
- Trouble focusing
- Slow reaction time that can lead to a car crash
Good sleep habits, also called sleep hygiene, can help you beat insomnia. Here are some tips:
- Go to sleep at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning. Try not to take naps during the day, because they may make you less sleepy at night.
- Don’t use phones or e-books before bed. Their light can make it harder to fall asleep.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol late in the day. Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants and can keep you from falling asleep. Alcohol can make you wake up in the middle of the night and hurt your sleep quality.
- Get regular exercise. Try not to work out close to bedtime, because it may make it hard to fall asleep. Experts suggest exercising at least 3 to 4 hours before bed.
- Don’t eat a heavy meal late in the day. But a light snack before bedtime may help you sleep.
- Make your bedroom comfortable: dark, quiet, and not too warm or too cold. If light is a problem, use a sleeping mask. To cover up sounds, try earplugs, a fan, or a white noise machine.
- Follow a routine to relax before bed. Read a book, listen to music, or take a bath.
- Don’t use your bed for anything other than sleep and sex.
- If you can’t fall asleep and aren’t drowsy, get up and do something calming, like reading until you feel sleepy.
- If you lay awake and worry about things, make a to-do list before you go to bed. This may help you put your concerns aside for the night.
23 thoughts on “How to treat Insomnia”
Well explained author 😊
how much cbd for 180 lb man
Why Are Nicotine Salts So High
Has anybody ever shopped at Vapours Canada Vape Shop located in 208 North Warren Ave?
Hello everybody ! can anyone suggest where I can purchase Honeyroot Wellness CBD Tincture Lemon Squeeze 1000mg 1500mg?
Does anyone know Avail Vapor vape store in 7325 St. Andrews Road, Unit C offers vape juice manufactured by Eco Vape Made In UK E-liquid? I have emailed them at email@example.com
Can anyone able to recommend quality Venues International Sales Leads? Thanks very much 🙂
Has anybody ever shopped at Kansas City Vapes of Orange Park Vapor Store in 1769 Maywick View Ln?
what happends if u take 1500 mg of cbd oil
I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to Dime Piece LA celebrity streetwear brand? I cannot check out on Dimepiecela site. I have read in Marie Claire that the brand was bought out by a UK-based hedge fund for $50 million. I’ve just bought the Dimepiece Fire & Desire Makeup Bag from Ebay and absolutely love it xox
can i grow a hemp plant
Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog site? The account helped me a applicable deal. I have been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant transparent idea
Aw, this was a very nice post. In idea I wish to put in writing like this additionally ?taking time and precise effort to make a very good article?but what can I say?I procrastinate alot and certainly not seem to get something done.
Is anyone in a position to recommend quality Camping Gas B2B Data? Thank you 🙂
Thanks alot, we will certainly try to come up with new blogs, please help us choosing the topic by guiding us to your desired topic.
Phentermine is the one that lets you have the best of support while on your way to losing fats.
how does cbd treat migraines
We are not discussing medication here but for your reference I would tell you that CBD have some enzymes that treats migraine, anxiety and others like stress by producing chemical combinations which helps to maintain stability of mind.
Thanks for your recommendations on this blog. A single thing I would wish to say is the fact purchasing electronic devices items over the Internet is certainly not new. The truth is, in the past decades alone, the market for online gadgets has grown substantially. Today, you will find practically just about any electronic gizmo and product on the Internet, including cameras along with camcorders to computer pieces and video gaming consoles.
I don抰 even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already 😉 Cheers!
Yeah I believe in myself. I will be the best.
I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Great work!
I wanted to put you the very little remark to be able to say thanks a lot once again for all the magnificent basics you have documented above. It’s surprisingly open-handed of you to give freely what exactly some people would’ve offered for an e book to get some profit on their own, primarily considering the fact that you might have tried it in the event you desired. These tips additionally worked like a fantastic way to be sure that other people have similar eagerness just like my own to see lots more concerning this matter. I’m sure there are some more pleasurable opportunities up front for many who examine your blog post.